- Approx ½ pt custard cold
For the pastry
- 150gr 6oz butter, very cold, cut into cubes
- 225gr 8oz plain flour, plus extra for rolling out
- 2 tbl icing sugar
- 1tbl ground almonds
- Rind of a small orange
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp water approx
For the pistachio topping
- 110 gr /4oz pistachio nuts
- 110gr plain flour
- 55gr/2oz butter
- 55gr caster sugar
1. Make the pastry by rubbing the butter and flour together with your fingertips until the mix resembles crumbs . Stir in the sugar and add the almonds and orange rind and a good pinch of salt, then add the egg yolks and water and work into the mix with a knife until the dough start to clump together. Press the dough together with your hands to form a ball, split in two and knead each half briefly until smooth. Shape into a flat disc. Wrap in cling film then chill while you make the topping.
2. To make the topping sieve the flour into a bowl and rub in the butter add the sugar and pistachios
3. Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
4. Roll out one of the discs of pastry on a lightly floured surface and cut 12 x 9cm circles (or 10 x 10 cm circles, depending on the depth of your muffin tin) with a round cutter. Push into the wells of a 12 hole muffin tin. Or a mini muffin tin with smaller discs .
5. Put a dsp custard in each pastry case followed by dsp mince meat and sprinkle over the topping Bake for 18-20 mins until golden for deep mince pies and approx 12 mins for mini . Leave to cool almost completely in the tin before lifting out. Serve dusted with a little icing sugar if you like. Repeat with remaining mix to make a second batch.