Friday Feasts – Spelt Pizza with Asparagus, Radicchio & Rainbow Vegetables
Welcome to the May Bank Holiday!! the forecast isn’t looking the best but that does not mean we cannot enjoy our weekend! Kick start your weekend with a delicious tasty homemade pizza! Supervalu have this tasty spelt pizza with asparagus, radicchio and rainbow vegetables (not your average pizza!)
So here’s how you get going! You’ll need to grab yourself the following:
Serves: 6 people
For the Pizza Base:
1.5 tbsp Baking Powder
2 tbsp Olive Oil (try Second nature Oils https://secondnatureoils.com/products/ for alternatives)
0.75 tbsp Salt
360 g Spelt Flour (Source at The Little Mill https://thelittlemill.ie/)
140 ml Water
For the Quick Tomato Sauce:
3 tbsp Almond Butter
or peanut butter
1.5 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar (Check out Highbank Orchards https://highbankorchards.com/shop)
400 g Chopped Tomatoes
2 cloves Garlic
1 pinch Ground Black Pepper
1 tbsp Maple Syrup
or honey (try Mileeven Foods for some local honey! https://www.mileeven.com/)
0.5 tsp Salt
8 – SuperValu Sun Dried Tomatoes
not the ones in oil
1 – Fresh Figs
1 head Radicchio
1 bunch SuperValu Asparagus
1 handfull SuperValu Goodness Walnuts
or hazelnuts, crushed
1 handfull SuperValu Rocket Leaves
1 – Yellow Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 250°C/gas mark 9. Line two large baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- To make the base, mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl, then add the water and oil and stir until it becomes a well-mixed ball. You don’t have to knead this as there is no yeast – the baking powder is the rising agent.
- Divide the dough into three equal balls. Dust each ball with flour so that it doesn’t stick to your hands. Roll each base out as thinly as possible, ensuring there are no holes.
- Place the bases on the lined trays and bake in the oven for 10 minutes to crisp them up. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, to make the tomato sauce, put all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Prep your veg for the toppings. Finely slice the radicchio into strips, removing the root at the bottom. Cut the woody ends off the asparagus and finely slice or peel the spears lengthwise into strips. Finely slice the fig lengthwise and finely slice the yellow pepper.
- Ladle a good layer of tomato sauce onto each base and spread it to the edges. Add your chosen toppings, making sure you have a good contrast of flavours, textures and colours. If using rocket, though, add that after the pizza comes out of the oven.
- Put the pizzas back in the oven for a further 6 to 8 minutes, until nice and crispy. Cut into slices and enjoy.
Source: Supervalu Ireland Recipes