Blend together and cooled:
- (1 heaped tablespoon cocoa and 2 tablespoons boiling water)
- 125g/4oz stork margarine
- 125g/4oz caster sugar
- 125g/4oz Kells self-raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 150ml / 1/4-pint water
- 125g/4oz sugar
- 5 tablespoons dark rum
- 275ml / 1/2-pint cream, chilled
- Crumbled milk flake
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C, (350 degrees F), Gas mark 4.
Size of tin: 8 inch/20cm ring tin
1. In a large bowl, place all the cake ingredients and mix well with a wooden spoon or electric mixer.
2. Fill the mixture into the ring tin brushed previously with melted margarine.
3. Bake for 30-35 minutes on the middle shelf of the pre-heated oven.
4. When baked, turn out on to a wire tray and allow to cool and then wash and dry ring tin.
5. When the cake is cooled, replace in the clean ring tin.
6. Rum Syrup: dissolve the sugar very slowly in the water and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, then pour slowly and evenly all over the cake and leave the cake to dry until cold.
7. Whip the cream, turn out the cake and top with the whipped cream then sprinkle crumbled milk flake over the cream. Chill before serving