- 5.5kg/ about 11to 12 lkb turkeyoven-ready Turkey legs and wings removed
- Jar duck fat
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs thyme and sage
- 1 onion quarted
- 150gr butter melted and cooled
For the dry brine
- 160/6oz sea salt
- 1tbsp peppercorns toasted
- 6 bay leaves crumpled up
- 6 sage leaves finely chopped
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 4 tbsp lemon and orange zest
For the stuffing
- 125 gr butter / 5 oz butter
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 1 brambly apple peeled cored and sliced
- 2×400 gr cumberland sausages or any sausage
- Sage leaves
- 150g/6oz breadcrumbs
- 100ge/4 oz chestnuts
- Some streaky bacon
Port & Cranberry Sauce
- 100g/4oz sugar
- 250ml/9 fl oz port
- 175g/6oz fresh cranberries
- Up to 4 days before make the brine by placing the ingrediends execpt the lemon and orange rind in to a reseable bag and bash with a rolling pin, Now add the lemon and orange rind.
- Place a third of it in another reseablebag and 2 days before Christmas add the wings and legs and shake well to to coat the skin, Leave in the fridge overnight , the next day rinse off the brine and dirt well
- Heat up the goose fat and add the legs and wings now place in a preheated oven for 120c/gas mark100 or bottom oven in the Aga or Range cookers
For the turkey Breast
- The day before cover the turkey crown and cover with the remaining brine.
- Christmas morning rinse the brine off and pat dry
- Heat the oven to 200c or gas mark 7
- Rub the butter over the turkey
- Line the roasting tin with tin fol allowing a good bit at each side to cover turkey
- Get a wire rack and sprinkle the herbs and onions and and sit the crown on top.
- Roast uncovered for 40 mins then cover with the tin foil and cook for approx 2 hours probe the turn back the tin foil and roast for the last 25 mins without foil,
- Take out of oven and leave to rest for hour before carving,
- Meanwhile take the wings and legs out of the fat and re heat for about an hour
For the stuffing
- Heat the butter in a saucepan and add the onion and cook until softened then add the apple.
- Place the sausage meat in a bowl and combine with the onion mix and remaining ingredients,
- While the turkey crown is resting place the stuffing in a large roasting dish and top with the bacon oven temp 200c gas mark 7 ,
- Cook for approx 40 mins or until the bacon is crisp.
Serve some chopped sage leaves .
For the roast potatoes roast in the fat from the turkey legs